December 6, 2017
EUGENE, Ore. – The No. 9 ranked Oregon women’s basketball team hosts Southern Utah at 2 PM on Saturday for it’s Toys For Tots and ugly sweater game.
Fans who bring a toy for Toys for Tots or wear an ugly sweater will get $3 tickets. Head coach Kelly Graves and his staff will don ugly sweaters on the bench for the game.
#9 OREGON DUCKS (7-1, 0-0 Pac-12)
PPG: 89.9 | FG%: 51.1 | 3FG%: 41.6 | FT%: 77.1
Notable: The Ducks have won four straight games since falling at No. 5 Louisville. Oregon owns one of the top offenses in the nation, ranking sixth in points per game (89.8), fourth in field goal percentage (51.1) and 11th in three-point field goal percentage (41.6). Sabrina Ionescu is fourth in the country, averaging 7.9 assists per game. Oregon is coming off its first ever appearances in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 and returned all five starters from last year’s NCAA tournament run.
SOUTHERN UTAH THUNDERBIRDS (1-7, 0-0 BIG SKY)
PPG: 61.4 | FG%: 34.5 | 3FG%: 28.8 | FT%: 64.5
Series Record: Southern Utah leads, 1-0
Last Game: SUU won, 56-47 (12/29/95, Cedar City)
Notable: Southern Utah is 1-7 after falling to UC Irvine on Tuesday. The Thunderbirds’ lone win was against Utah State, 70-67, on Nov. 21. Whitney Johnson leads the team in scoring (12.0 ppg) and rebounding (6.8 rpg). Natalie Sanchez has a team-high 20 three-pointers but Southern Utah shoots just 28.8 percent from deep as a team. Mo Tapasa is from Monmouth and Skylee Doman is from Canby.
TV – None
Stream – Free at GoDucks.com/Live
Radio – Terry Jonz on the call at KUGN 590 (Eugene), KUIK 1360 (Portland) & TuneIn. Search for “Oregon IMG” in the TuneIn app or online at TuneIn.com.
Live Stats – oregon.statbroadcast.com
DUCKS IN THE POLLS
Oregon’s No. 9 ranking this week in the Associated Press top-25 poll matches its highest all-time ranking. The Ducks were ranked No. 9 on four occassions during the 1981-82 season.
NAISMITH, WADE TROPHY WATCH LISTS
– Both Sabrina Ionescu and Ruthy Hebard have been named to the 50-player Naismith Trophy watch list. The award, organized by the Atlanta Tipoff Club, goes to the top player in the NCAA.
– Ionescu was also named to the Wade Trophy watch list. The Wade Trophy is presented by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association and is also awarded to the top player in the NCAA.
UO DUO SWEEPS PAC-12, NATIONAL AWARDS
Sophomore Sabrina Ionescu and freshman Satou Sablly swept both the Pac-12 and USBWA national player of the week awards. Ionescu was named player of the week in both while Sabally was named freshman of the week in both.
– Ionescu posted a pair of double-doubles in wins over Hampton and Weber State, averaging 17.0 points, 8.5 rebounds and 10.0 assists. She matched the program single-game record with 14 assists vs. the Wildcats.
– Sabally averaged 20.0 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists against Hampton and Weber State, while shooting 54.3 percent from the floor and 50.0 percent on three-pointers.
THE SCOREBOARD, IT’S LIT
Oregon ranks 6th in the NCAA, averaging 89.9 points per game. The Ducks have outscored their opponents, on average, by 26.4 points per game, which ranks 8th.
SHARE THE ROCK
– Oregon ranks 7th in the NCAA with 176 total assists.
– The Ducks are averaging 22.0 assists per game this year, good for 6th in the NCAA.
– Oregon has 176 assists on 267 made baskets (65.9%).
– Individually, Sabrina Ionescu ranks 4th in the NCAA in assists per game (7.9) while Maite Cazorla is 17th (6.7). They are the only pair of teammates in the top-20 of the individual rankings.
– Oregon ranks 4th in the NCAA, shooting 51.1 percent from the floor.
– The Ducks are 11th in the country, shooting 41.6 percent from three-point range.
BANDO ON RECORD PACE
Senior guard Lexi Bando is close to setting multiple three-point percentage records. The guard is a career 45.6 percent three-point shooter (223-for-489), the best among active players in the NCAA.
– The NCAA career record is 47.6 percent (262-of-550), set by Notre Dame’s Alicia Ratay from 2000-03.
– The Pac-12 career record is 45.2 percent (191-of-423), set by Stanford’s Jennifer Azzi from 1988-90.
– The Oregon career record is 44.6 percent (66-of-148), set by Jennifer Bourn from 1987-91.
– Bando’s 223 made three-pointers are the second most in UO career history. Taylor Lilley has the record with 270 made from 2007-2010.
IONESCU MATCHES UO ASSISTS RECORD
With 14 assists on Dec. 2 against Weber State, Sabrina Ionescu matched the UO single-game assists record, also held by Corrie Mizusawa (at Gonzaga, Nov. 25, 2003) and Vanessa Selden (vs. NMSU, Dec. 7, 1990). Ionescu’s previous career-best was 13 assists against Utah on Jan. 22, 2017.
COMBINED THREE-POINT RECORD FALLS
On Nov. 2, Oregon and Weber State combined for 34 three-pointers, the most in UO single-game history. Both teams made 17 threes, with the Ducks going 17-of-33 and the Wildcats going 17-of-34. Ironically, the Ducks entered the game with the nation’s best three-point percentage defense, at just 20.2 percent. The previous record was 27 combined three-pointers against Portland State on Nov. 20, 2011.
DUCKS EXPLODE FOR 44-POINT QUARTER
Oregon scored a program-record 44 points in the third quarter against Weber State on Nov. 2. The Ducks shot 82.4 percent (14-of-17) from the floor in the period.