June 23, 2016
Caris LeVert with NBA commissioner Adam Silver
June 23, 2016
BROOKLYN, N.Y. — University of Michigan men’s basketball guard Caris LeVert was selected tonight (Thursday, June 23) by the Indiana Pacers with the 20th overall pick at the 2016 NBA Draft held at the Barclays Center. LeVert’s selection makes him the seventh Wolverine to be drafted under U-M head coach John Beilein and the 55th all-time in program history.
LeVert’s stay with Indiana will be short following a draft day trade with the Brooklyn Nets. The Nets traded Thaddeus Young to the Pacers for the 20th overall pick and a future second-round selection. The deal will be made official once it receives NBA approval.
LeVert becomes U-M’s fifth first-round selection since 2013 and seventh on Beilein’s list of U-M draftees which includes Darius Morris (2011, 41st by Los Angeles Lakers), Trey Burke (2013, 9th by Minnesota Timberwolves then draft day traded to Utah Jazz), Tim Hardaway Jr. (2013, 24th by New York Knicks), Nik Stauskas (2014, 8th by Sacramento Kings), Mitch McGary (2014, 21st by Oklahoma City Thunder) and Glenn Robinson III (2014, 40th by the Minnesota Timberwolves).
Throughout his career, LeVert compiled 98 wins in his four seasons in Ann Arbor. He was the 49th Wolverine to reach 1,000 career points, finishing his career ranked 44th all-time with 1,070 points. He averaged 10.4 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game. This past season LeVert posted the program’s fourth triple-double with 13 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists against Northern Kentucky (Dec. 15, 2015).
LeVert, who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in general studies, was instrumental in guiding U-M to back-to-back NCAA Elite Eights (2013 & 2014) as well as the Wolverines’ first NCAA Final Four and national title game in 20 years (2013). As a sophomore (2014) he helped U-M capture its first outright Big Ten regular-season title in 28 years (2014) and earn the program’s first No. 1 seed at the Big Ten Tournament.
U-M currently has seven players active in the NBA: LeVert, Burke (Utah Jazz), Hardaway (Atlanta Hawks), Stauskas (Philadelphia 76ers), McGary (Oklahoma City Thunder), Robinson (Indiana Pacers) and Jamal Crawford (Los Angeles Clippers).
Caris LeVert Career Notes
• Played in 103 career games, becoming 64th Wolverine to record 100-plus career games
• Over final two seasons, missed 35 total games due to injuries — 14 (2014-15) and 21 (2015-16)
• Finished career with 98 wins, six away from all-time U-M record
• Member of three NCAA Tournament teams (2013, ’14, ’16)
• Member of U-M’s back-to-back NCAA Elite Eight appearances (2013 & 2014)
• Member of U-M’s NCAA Final Four and national championship game team (2013)
• All-Big Ten second team, from B1G coaches and media (2014)
• Two-time preseason All-Big Ten (2015, ’16)
• USBWA All-District V Team (2014)
• NCAA Tournament All-Midwest Regional Team (2014)
• U-M’s Rudy Tomjanovich Most Improved Player (2014)
• U-M’s Steve Grote Hustle Award (2014)
• Recorded U-M’s fourth triple-double with 13 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists against Northern Kentucky (Dec. 15, 2015)
Michigan and the NBA Draft
• Michigan has had 55 players selected in the NBA Draft.
• Michigan has had five first-round selections since 2013 and 25 total.
• Dating back to 1988, U-M has had 16 of its last 24 players chosen in the first round.
Communications Contact: Tom Wywrot