Twenty bodies released to a funeral home
June 14, 2016
Forty-nine people are dead and at least 53 injured in the deadliest shooting in American history after a gunman opened fire and took hostages inside the Pulse gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla.
- All 49 victims who were killed at Pulse on Sunday have now been identified. You can read their stories here.
- Many victims remain hospitalized, 6 in critical condition. Dr. Michael Cheatham of Orlando Regional Medical Center said he would be surprised if the death toll held steady at 49.
- Gunman Omar Mateen had used a gay dating app in the year before the shooting, and had visited Pulse several times before.
- His ex-wife, Sitora Yusufiy, said she’s not sure if he was gay. Mateen and Yusufiy divorced in 2011.
- Mateen married a second time. His current wife, Noor Zahi Salman, hasn’t spoken publicly, but has been talking to the FBI. She said she drove with him to Pulse at least once before the shooting.
- Mateen visited several Disney properties in recent months, and may have gone to Disney World during Gay Days Orlando, an annual event brings thousands of LGBT individuals and families to central Florida.
- President Obama will travel to Orlando on Thursday.
- Follow local coverage from the Orlando Sentinel and see a timeline of how the shooting unfolded.
Read Full Article