Big 10

Michigan forward Kameron Chatman confirms he is transferring from U-M

May 3, 2016

ANN ARBOR — The turnstile outside Crisler Center is still swinging.

Michigan sophomore Kameron Chatman is transferring for his final two seasons of collegiate eligibility, he confirmed to MLive on Tuesday via text message.

Chatman, a 6-foot-8 forward and former top-50 national recruit, averaged 3.2 points and 2.0 rebounds in 60 career games at U-M, playing 11.5 minutes per outing.

As a sophomore last season, Chatman averaged 2.8 points and 1.4 rebounds per game, but did not appear in eight contests, including a season-ending NCAA Tournament loss to Notre Dame. Ironically, it was Chatman’s memorable buzzer-beating 3-pointer in the Big Ten Tournament that secured the Wolverines’ place in the NCAA field after spending the final month of the season on the bubble.

Michigan confirmed Chatman has been released from his scholarship, issuing a press release.

“Kam is a wonderful young man with the potential to mature into a fine college player,” U-M coach John Beilein said in the release. “We have enjoyed coaching him over the past two years and wish him nothing but the best.”

“I honestly don’t think I could have had a more quality life experience than I did in Ann Arbor,” Chatman. “I am incredibly grateful for my two years at Michigan. I would like to thank Coach Beilein and his entire staff for taking a chance on a small town kid out of Portland. I know my experience has inspired others as I will take all of my lessons learned to continue my pursuit of becoming the best man and player I can. Go Blue!”

A Portland, Oregon, native, Chatman was the gem of Michigan coach John Beilein’s six-player 2014 recruiting class.

Now, only two members of that class remain on scholarship.

Chatman’s departure marks the third transfer from that class this offseason, joining former teammates Aubrey Dawkins (Central Florida) and Ricky Doyle (undecided). The sixth member of that 2014 class, Austin Hatch, transitioned from a scholarship player to a non-scholarship member of the program following his freshman year.

The lone 2014 recruits remaining are guard Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman and forward D.J. Wilson.

Chatman’s potential departure would leave Beilein with two open scholarships for the 2016-17 season.

On Monday night, Beilein said prior to the Ufer Quarterback Club banquet at Barton Hills Golf Course that Michigan’s roster is “still evolving” and that he expects May to be “very interesting.”

While Beilein previously said that he doesn’t anticipate any more attrition this offseason, he noted Monday that there are no guarantees. Asked if he expects full retention of his remaining scholarship players, “Things happen in May. We’re working on all those things.”

— Download the Michigan football on MLive app for iPhone and Android
— Download the Michigan basketball on MLive app for iPhone and Android
— Follow MLive’s Michigan coverage on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
— Subscribe to “The Wolverine Beat” podcast on iTunes

Read Full Article