Heartbreaking accounts from witnesses to the Orlando shooting: ‘I thought it was just part of the music’
June 12, 2016
50 people are dead and at least 53 injured in the deadliest shooting in American history after a gunman opened fire took hostages overnight inside Pulse gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla.
- The gunman has been identified as 29-year-old Omar Mateen, a U.S. law enforcement official said.
- He was killed by law enforcement. He had a legally purchased assault rifle and handgun, as well as another “device.”
- Mateen lived in the area of Fort Pierce, Fla., the law enforcement official said. Fort Pierce is about 120 miles south of Orlando on the state’s Atlantic coast.
- Investigators are operating under the theory that the attack was inspired by Islamic State.
- President Obama calls the attack an “act of terror.”
- Follow local coverage from the Orlando Sentinel and see a timeline of how the shooting unfolded.
Read Full Article